In view of the coronavirus pandemic, the University Grants Commission on July 7 released revised Guidelines on Examinations and Academic Calendar for the Universities.
Releasing the guidelines virtually, Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank said the decision was taken to safeguard the principles of health, safety, fair and equal opportunity for students.
He said that it was very crucial to ensure academic credibility, career opportunities and future progress of students globally.
The University Grants Commission had in April had issued Guidelines on Examinations and Academic Calendar based on the recommendations of the Expert Committee constituted by the commission to make recommendations on the issues related to Examinations and Academic Calendar. In the wake of increasing pandemic, the Expert Committee was once again asked to look into the examinations and admissions in Universities/ Colleges and also for beginning of new academic session.
The Commission in its meeting held on July 6 accepted the Report of the Expert Committee and approved the ‘UGC Revised Guidelines on Examinations and Academic Calendar for the Universities in view of COVID-19 Pandemic’.
Highlights of the Guidelines
- The terminal semester(s)/ final year(s) examinations be conducted by the universities/ institutions by the end of September, 2020 in offline (pen & paper)/ online/ blended (online + offline) mode.
- The students of terminal semester/ final year students having backlog should compulsorily be evaluated by conducting examinations in offline (pen & paper)/ online/ blended (online + offline) modeas per feasibility and suitability.
- In case a student of terminal semester/ final year is unable to appear in the examination conducted by the University for whatsoever the reason(s) may be, he/she may be given opportunity to appear in special examinations for such course(s)/ paper(s), which may be conducted by the university as and when feasible, so that the student is not put to any inconvenience/ disadvantage. The above provision shall be applicable only for the current academic session 2019-20 as a one-time measure.
- The guidelines regarding intermediate semester/ year examination, as notified on 29.04.2020 will remain unchanged.
- If need be, the relevant details pertaining to the Admissions and Academic Calendar in the universities and colleges shall be issued separately in place of those mentioned in the earlier guidelines issued on 29thApril, 2020.
If you have an inspiring story to share to the world, sent it to firstname.lastname@example.org