Giving a boost to the Indian Railways, it rolled out the first AC Three Tier class coach last week. All Mail / Express trains will have the Linke Hofmann Busch (LHB) AC three-tier economy class coach. However, Rajdhani, Shatabdi, Duronto and Jan Shatabd trains will have to wait to get the three tier coaches.
The Indian railways said that the trial was successful.
Some of the features of Linke Hofmann Busch:
- Electrical panels with reduced footprint on the passenger deck. This leads to additional floor space for passenger use.
- Increased Passenger capacity of 83 Berths.
- Provision of an enabling entrance and compartment for Divyangjan with wheelchair access and Provision of Divyangjan friendly toilet with wheelchair access complying to Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan norms.
- AC ducting by providing individual vents for all berths.
- Modular design of seats and berths to improve comfort, reduced weight and higher maintainability.
- Improved passenger conveniences in form of foldable snack tables in both longitudinal and transverse bays, injury free spaces and holders for water bottles, mobile phone and magazines.
- Individual reading lights and mobile charging points for each berth.
- Ergonomically improved design of ladder for accessing the middle and upper berths.
- Increased headroom in the middle and upper berths.
- Improved design of the Indian and the Western style lavatories.
- Aesthetically pleasing and ergonomic entrance.
- Luminescent aisle markers.
- Illuminated berth indicators integral with night lights with luminescent berth numbers.
- Improved fire safety standards by ensuring compliance to world benchmark of EN45545-2 HL3 for materials.